Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
PATCHS. Contact your GP online
Online Patient Access
Patient Participation Group - Have Your Say
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999
Find us on Facebook

Sickness Certificates


To avoid wasting GP time for medical certification:

If you need a letter for your employer to evidence self isolation or household isolation, due to coronavirus symptoms lasting longer that 7 days, please use the 111 isolation note system:

(but if for any reason you cannot get this use the following: Letter for employer self isolation and household isolation - coronavirus (PDF, 765KB))

For stringent social distancing due to high risk or shielding due to very high risk, please download, complete and email this letter to your employer: High risk and isolating, or very high risk and shielding - letter for employer (PDF, 788KB)


If you're off work sick for seven days or fewer, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you've been ill.

A sickness certificate completed and signed by our doctor is ONLY required when a period of continuous absence from work due to illness is of longer than seven days duration.

For absence up to three days no certification is required.

Between three and six days, absence due to illness is adequately covered by a ‘self-certificate’, obtainable from your employer or the website (SC2 form). Self-employed patients or those otherwise unentitled to statutory sick pay will need to claim ESA (employment and support allowance).

If you think your employer may not be aware of this you can direct them to this website. You can also print off the following letter to give them if they insist on a certificate before 7 days. 'Private' sick notes are charged at £15.

Letter to employer

For more information see the government website on taking sick leave

PATCHS. Contact your GP online

Statement of Fitness for Work: There are two options

  1. You are not fit for work- unable to work for the specified period due to illness and return to work at the end of this period. You may or may not need an assessment for fitness for work at the end of this period (stated at the bottom of the certificate).
  2. You may be fit for work taking account of the following advice- this is considered when patient may benefit further from one or more of the workplace adjustments or adaptations.

Hospital out-patients

The duty to provide a Med 3 generally rests with the hospital doctor.

Hospital in-patient

Form Med 10 should continue to be issued by the hospital doctor to cover any period that a patient is in hospital. On discharge from hospital the doctor who has clinical responsibility for the patient should provide them, if appropriate, with Med 3 to cover a forward period. This is to avoid unnecessary visit to GPs solely for the purpose of sickness certification.

Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let